Thursday, July 28, 2016

PennDOT to Work Overnight into Friday to Remove I-95 Commercial Truck Ban and Reopen Exit Ramps at I-95/Broad Street Interchange

PennDOT to Work Overnight into Friday to Remove I-95 Commercial Truck Ban
and Reopen Exit Ramps at I-95/Broad Street Interchange

7/28/2016-KING OF PRUSSIA

Working in coordination with law enforcement agencies following the
conclusion
of the Democratic National Convention, the Pennsylvania Department of
Transportation (PennDOT) will work overnight to remove traffic control
devices
from Interstate 95 in Philadelphia in order to remove the five-ton
commercial
truck restriction and reopen exit ramps at the Broad Street Interchange
(Exit
17) by midday Friday, July 29.

PennDOT crews are prepared to begin removing over 200 traffic control
signs,
portable arrow boards and message boards, and dozens of traffic
channelization
cones from I-95 and nearby regional highways upon receiving notification
from
law enforcement to reopen I-95 to commercial trucks and vehicles over five
tons, to restore the Interstate 676 east ramp to I-95 south to two lanes,
and
to reopen I-95 exit ramps at Broad Street (Exit 17).

The operation to remove all travel restriction from I-95 is expected to
take
several hours to complete, weather permitting. The forecast of rain,
thunderstorms and lightning may affect the length of time it takes to
complete
the full reopening as the safety of PennDOT crews and law enforcement
personnel
is paramount.

I-95 travel restrictions, plus a lane closure on the I-676 east ramp to
I-95
south, have been in place since Saturday, July 23, to support the
Pennsylvania
State Police in its enforcement of the five-ton commercial truck ban, which
is
part of the security plan for the Democratic National Convention at the
Wells
Fargo Center in South Philadelphia.

I-95 north is reduced from three lanes to two at Exit 13 (I-76 West/Route
291/Valley Forge) near the Philadelphia International Airport, and the
adjacent
collector/distributor roadway alongside I-95 north also is restricted to
two
lanes in this area.

On I-95 south, traffic is reduced from 4 lanes to 3 lanes moving through
the
Girard Avenue Interchange toward the I-676 Interchange at Exit 22 (I-676).

The I-676 east exit ramp to I-95 south is reduced from two lanes to one.

PennDOT and its regional transportation partners are using more than 100
permanent and portable electronic message signs to complement more than 200

stationary signs to inform commercial drivers and travelers of I-95
restrictions in Philadelphia during this special event.

To assist residents and visitors before and during the convention, PennDOT
launched www.511PA.com/DNC – a detailed travelers' website. The site's home

page offers options to see information about real-time traffic conditions
on
highways in the Philadelphia region and lists street closures around the
convention venue. This site is accessible from both desktop and mobile
interfaces.

Motorists can check conditions on more than 40,000 roadway miles by
visiting
www.511PA.com. 511PA, which is free and available 24 hours a day, provides
traffic delay warnings, weather forecasts, traffic speed information and
access
to more than 770 traffic cameras.

For more PennDOT information, visit www.penndot.gov. Follow Local PennDOT
Information on Twitter at www.twitter.com/511PAPhilly, and follow the
department on Facebook at
www.facebook.com/pennsylvaniadepartmentoftransportation and Instagram at
www.instagram.com/pennsylvaniadot.

# # #



To view a complete list of District 6 News Releases: Click
http://www.penndot.gov/RegionalOffices/district-6/Pages/allnews.aspx

To unsubscribe click
http://www.dot.state.pa.us/PennDOT/Districts/d6media.nsf/unsubscribeform?OpenForm

No comments:

Post a Comment